Scouting Voice

Rushcliffe District Scouts
Scouting Voice - The Blog written by our Young People...and a few Leaders
Leaders, please email submissions to

Leader's blog

By Colin Howard 22 Nov, 2017

Our luck held for another year and we had a dry, not too cold evening with only light winds. With the predicted increase, yet again, in the number of teams we re-used a set of routes from a number of years ago, and a brand new six mile route with a total of 28 teams.

 To help manage the increased number we drummed up support from the scout troops and explorer units so we could run incident bases on both routes including two food bases and deployed more than 50 staff on the night and our thanks to all these volunteers (well nearly all volunteers, a few were volunteered!)

 We always advertise that the bases may educate, entertain and test the young people and this year we had country code questions (need to be more difficult next time), the problem of getting the fox, a chicken and bag of grain across a river (2 lengths of rope, some carpet tiles and a good dose of imagination), vegetable identification (didn’t they do well!), Black Bart’s Treasure, dry skiing with up to four on a pair of skis, and a “bomb” base. We also laid on a surprise base towards the end of each route titled silent zone – it appears some Scouts and a few leaders don’t seem to understand it applied to all in a team!

 We always award points for timeliness between bases and points for teamwork and success at the tasks set as most of the young people seem to enjoy the competitive element, with four “classes” this year: Scout 6 mile route accompanied by an adult, Scout 6 mile route unaccompanied, Scout 10 mile unaccompanied route and an Explorer 10 mile unaccompanied route.

 We know where next year’s routes will be based but are obviously saying nothing for many months to come although the diary has already been consulted.

 Fiona Burrows and Alan Hubber


By Colin Howard 09 Jun, 2017

My name is Laurel, I Am a member of 1st Gotham Cubs.
Last Saturday (3rd June) I was one of the Cubs Crew who visited Hoveringham Watersports Centre.
I had a great time both on the walk and on the water, I really liked the Kayaking , I had never tried this activity before and was a little nervous.  
But it didn't take me long to get the hang of it...
I had a fantastic day and went home really tired from being so busy all day....
Thank you ....

By Colin Howard 08 Jun, 2017

Joshua and his Mum - 1st Gotham Cubs

“I went on the water sports activity day with Cubs…it was amazing! We did kayaking, raft making and canoeing I hope they do it again!” - Joshua

“Joshua attended the water activity day with 1st Gotham Cubs last week. He really enjoyed activities including canoeing, kayaking and raft building with his friends. His favourite was kayaking. 

We are so lucky to have so many interesting activities for our children to get involved with. This helps them all in so many ways. Thank you to all of the leaders who volunteer and have such a positive impact on our children's development.”

Helen (Joshua's mum)

By Colin Howard 02 May, 2017

Lyla - 1st Ruddington Cubs

I joined Cubs because I knew that I would have skill, friends and a mind that would be blown away. I felt happy and good to have joined Cubs and the leaders are kind, lovely and helpful if you have problems. I love being a Cub because sometimes we struggle with activity’s we have never tried all learnt before and that is what makes Cubs fantastic. I especially love how Cubs is not just for boys, the activities aren’t just for boys, it is for all genders so that is what makes it outshine. The activities that I enjoy most are the hikes and where we learn new facts and experiments, I also enjoyed how to use a nail and screw to build a green bird-box and normally my Dad would never in a million years let me do that sort of thing at the age of 10! One of my friends got me into Cubs my saying “we do loads of interesting activities and amazing hikes” so I begged my mum to let me and now I am a member of the 1st Ruddington Cubs, so now I feel proud and important. There are loads of words and phrases I could describe Cubs including extreme, challenging, skillful and go to the limit!

So, I hope I have inspired you to join Cubs… go on! I know you want to!

By Colin Howard 02 May, 2017

Parth - 4th West Bridgford

It all started off on a Friday... We got given maps and were given the campsite's location. From there we had to form a route to get to the campsite. We made route cards saying where we would be by using a 6 figure grid reference's and where our emergency point would be in case of an injury or problem. One week later we brought our equipment for check up and added the group equipment to our bags, which made our bags quite heavy at that point.

The walk...

The group which consists of 10 scouts and 2 leaders set off in the morning to the Peak District In a minivan. As soon as we reached there we got out and started walking. The first obstacle was getting over the dam. This was a steep climb up a hill. The view over the dam and trees looked incredible. The view was like this photo below, but it was raining.

About 1 hour after we crossed the dam, we saw a river and followed it for about 2 hours in the storm. We were all cold and hungry so we stopped for some sweets and chocolate. We walked for another 30 minutes until we were half way through the first day. We met the leaders here to show them where we would go next. 10 minutes later we left to go to Edale. Up in the forests we had lunch. To shelter us from the rain we stopped under the trees. We then set off up a rocky hill. And then went over some mountains and crossed over a stream. The water was gushing through the stream and was cold. We were only one mile from the campsite.

At the campsite...

As soon as we reached the campsite, we quickly put up our tents in the rain and made some food. Our group had some noodles and sticky toffee pudding with custard. After the cleaning up we just went in our tents and did what we wanted to do so me and Peter played some top trumps. Around 11pm we went to sleep with aching legs.


We woke up at 8am and made a bacon roll for breakfast. The leaders decided to cut down our route to make it easier for us. We entered a farm that led to a railway. We walked along it until we reached Barbar Booth. After a lot of walking we reached the bottom of a mountain.

Up the mountain

We went over a lot of stiles but when we came to the last one it was too muddy and so when I tried to get over it I got stuck in the mud for about 5 minutes. After all the stiles where gone it was a steep climb until we got to the top of the mountain. That hill took us about 1 and a 1/2 hours to get the top. When we were at the top of the mountain we had to go look for the minivan but there was hope problem, a massive puddle. About that big and deep like the photo below

After we crossed the puddle we made our way to the minivan to cook our lunch but it was raining so we couldn't get a fire going which meant we couldn't have lunch. So we went to the youth hostel, where we made woggles.


Because we were starving due to no lunch we stopped for some food. I had a chicken Mayo burger with chips. From there we went back to the church and were given equipment E.g: pots and pans to clean at home.

I really enjoyed this experience and I really want to do it again. I have learnt many skills like compass and map reading. I want to say thank you to the leaders for all their hard work.

Thank you leaders for an amazing experience

By Colin Howard 14 Apr, 2017

David - 1st Radcliffe on Trent

I enjoyed the framework knitters museum because it was very interesting and fun. It was especially fun when I got to make my own scarf. This was one of the best things there. The tour guides were very nice to us and I would recommend this to  people who I know.

I would go there again if I had the chance to and would still be interesting. As you learn about the living conditions back then and how cramped it was when they worked.

By Colin Howard 14 Apr, 2017

Kieran - 1st Radcliffe on Trent

The Framework Knitters Museum was really interesting. It was really fun to learn about how people lived and worked over 400 years ago. The people who showed us round were really nice and friendly.

I would give it an 8/10 because it would have been better if we could have seen the industrial knitting machines in action but I really liked making scarves on the smaller hand powered machines.

By Colin Howard 14 Apr, 2017

Edward (1st Radcliffe on Trent)

The Knitters Museum in Ruddington was very fun and enjoyable as not only did we get to see all the equipment, we actually got to have a go ourselves. On the night, we were allowed to make our own scarves which no one there had ever done before. I think everyone who went really enjoyed themselves and therefore it was a great night out. Being tucked away down a road at a dead end, you wouldn’t expect so much history to be kept away there but actually, the building holds many years of memories. The tour wasn’t only informative but also very interesting as we were allowed to explore what would have been the owner’s house. Additionally being able to find out how the living conditions were then compared to now really reflects on how lucky we are so it also delivered a really positive message across to everyone who went.

By Colin Howard 14 Apr, 2017

Viking Troop Visit to Ruddington Framework Knitters museum

Euan - 1st Radcliffe on Trent

On Friday 24th February 2017 our scout troop went to visit the framework knitters museum in Ruddington. We met in the dark, outside the museum and it didn’t look like there was anyone there to show us around, and it looked like we might be going straight home. Soon a Lady from the museum arrived and unlocked the door. We all filed in and she started to tell us about the history of the museum. She told us that framework knitting in the UK actually started here in Nottingham.

We Split up into 2 groups; one group went to the house, which was preserved to look like the factory owners house, and the other group (my group) went to the factory building across the courtyard. Inside the factory there were lots of small round knitting machines with hundreds of hooks, through which the balls of yarn had been threaded ready to knit clothes. I counted 11 machines in total. We each had our own machine and got shown how to work it to knit ourselves a scarf.

My machine was loaded with pink and white yarn and I had to turn a handle at the side to drive a big cog underneath the row of knitting needles. Turning the wheel drove the frame around and knitted my scarf. As I turned the wheel every single needle shuttled up and down in turn to make a single stitch in my scarf. It was really clever. It knitted really fast and relied on a pulley and weight system to keep it moving as well as me turning the handle. When the weight reached the floor I had to unclip it and bring it back to the top of the machine to carry on knitting. All of us managed to knit a scarf. I gave mine to my Mum when I got home.

In the house we visited all the rooms they were very small. I thought the beds were tiny compared to our beds these days. We were only allowed upstairs in twos, in case the floor broke!

The museum guide told us about the workers going on strike and smashing up the factory. They did it for better pay and working conditions. The guide told us that there is a pub in Ruddington village called The Frame Breakers after this workers revolt!

Overall I really enjoyed our troop visit to the knitters museum and would recommend it as an interesting place for other scout troops to visit.

By Colin Howard 14 Apr, 2017

Imogen - 4th West Bridgford

On Saturday the 18th of March 10 scouts including me got on a mini bus to go on an expedition for Challenge Award. We were dropped off as a group of 5 with 60 litre bags full of essential equipment and a map, compass and our route cards.

 My group went first, heading over Ladybower Dam, then heading north for 6km. Until we met our leaders to point us in the right direction at Hagglee Ford. Then we had a tough climb.

 This is where I probably least enjoyed the expedition. My bag was heavy on my shoulders. However, it should have been on my waist, so it was even harder. Although I found it hard am happy I did it, so now I can prove to myself that I can do it.

 Then we had a simple walk down hill, because we had just had a hard walk we had a quick break which leads on to the funniest or best part of the expedition.

 We were just past the crossroads and we were all just sitting down. We all got some great pictures of all of us on the floor however once you’re on the floor with your huge bag it is mildly hard to get back up! So, you can now imagine what happened... we all had to pull him back up so we could leave. Having a laugh was probably the best bits of the expedition- just enjoying it.

 Then we got our best foot forward and got to the campsite at Edale for about 4:00pm. Then we got our food and started to cook, it wasn't the best cooking experience and was a bit of a disaster. We then decided that it was best to go to sleep for the next big day of walking!

 It was now morning and breakfast was easier knowing that you can just grab and quickly eat it. We then had to quickly had to put the tents away and pack our bags.

 We then set off however this time we set off as a group of 10 to have an earlier finish time due to the awful weather. On Sunday, we had to just get on to beat the weather so there was not a lot of stops or slow walking so there is not as much to this day. But we had some troubles in middles of fields or crossing field to field but we got through all the mud and doubts. Then we walked until about 1:00pm until we met the mini bus at the top of Rushup Edge, Grid Ref OS SK 093 826 – if you were wondering!

 Then we got in the mini bus with all the weight off our shoulders and we ate our lunch. We took a trip to Edale youth hostel which we walked passed on Saturday. We made some woggles and discussed the expedition. We then got back in the mini bus and started to head home but then we stopped, as we had been told there was a surprise and then we went into McDonalds for dinner.

 Then we arrived back at church, that was my experience with the expedition, although it was hard I would love to do it all again!


Share by: